General Tools and Materials:
Install Threaded Rod
- Install a threaded rod into the wall at a 90 degree angle at the mounting location, taking care to ensure that the projection of the rod is shorter than the projection of the viga tail by at least 1”.
- Measure and note the projection of the threaded rod.
Drill Hole In Replacement Viga Tail
- Find the center of the unfinished end of the viga tail and drill a hole that is the same length as the threaded rod and 1/8” larger diameter than the threaded rod. It may be helpful to first drill a pilot hole using a standard drill bit.
- Take extreme care to ensure that the hole is at a 90 degree angle with the viga and that you don’t drill through the finished end of the viga.
- Dry fit the viga onto the threaded rod.
Install Replacement Viga Tail
- Add adhesive to the unfinished end of the viga and slide onto the threaded rod.
- Use a slight twisting motion to ensure good contact between the viga and the wall.
- Toe screw the viga to the stucco using exterior-grade deck screws.