Solid Replacement Viga Tail Installation - Threaded Rod
General Tools And MaterialsClick Here to Download a Printable PDF Version
- Caulk Gun
- Loctite® PL® Premium® 3X Construction Adhesive
- Carpenter Square or Level
- Screw Gun/ Drill Driver & Driver Bits
- Deck Screws
- Tape Measure
- Safety Glasses
- Threaded Rod(s)
- Spade Bit
Before You Start
- Gather all tools and materials.
- Ensure wall is structurally sound and in good condition.
- Remove existing viga tails and remediate the installation surface, if necessary.
Click Here for Care and Maintenance info.
Install Threaded Rod
- Install a threaded rod into the wall at a 90 degree angle at the mounting location, taking care to ensure that the projection of the rod is shorter than the projection of the viga tail by at least 1”.
- Measure and note the projection of the threaded rod.
Drill Hole In Replacement Viga Tail
- Find the center of the unfinished end of the viga tail and drill a hole that is the same length as the threaded rod and 1/8” smaller diameter than the threaded rod. It may be helpful to first drill a pilot hole using a standard drill bit.
- Take extreme care to ensure that the hole is at a 90 degree angle with the viga and that you don’t drill through the finished end of the viga.
- Dry fit the viga onto the threaded rod.
Install Replacement Viga Tail
- Add adhesive to the unfinished end of the viga and slide onto the threaded rod.
- Use a slight twisting motion to ensure good contact between the viga and the wall.
- Toe screw the viga to the stucco using exterior-grade deck screws.
- Be sure to obey all safety rules and recommendations set forth by tool manufacturers.
- Always follow any, and all, local, state, and federal building codes.
- Always comply with any specified clearances set forth by the manufacturers of stoves, fireplaces, furnaces, and any other heat sources.